Monday, October 12, 2009

SFI: Using Keywords In Your Target Market

Subscribe to updates


According to a new study from the Kansas City-based Kauffman Foundation, the typical small-business founder is 40 years old, on average, when launching a first company; 70% of first-time founders are married, and nearly 60% have at least one child. Additionally, 59% come from lower-middle-class or blue-collar families, and almost half hold advanced degrees.
Source: CNNMoney




Note: This Tidbit focuses on the SFI Affiliate Program, however, the tips contained here can be used by other online home-business owners...)

Q: I use keywords with my pay-per-clicks. Is there more that I can do to get a better conversion rate? Also, are there any other ways to use keywords more effectively in my retail marketing?
Keywords and phrases should be used in every aspect of your marketing, whether it be on or offline. After all, they are helping you target your market.


In the last Marketing Tidbits, I explained how and why I chose the products I did. In this Marketing Tidbits, I will explain how I go about choosing my keywords and phrases for those products.
For a quick recap of the categories and products from last Marketing Tidbits, here are the four product categories that I chose from the Veriuni Store:
  1. Food
  2. Wellness/Nutrition
  3. Magazine Rack
  4. Telecommunications
The items I chose are as follows:
  1. Food category: Java Coffee

  2. Wellness/Nutrition:
    Veriuni Advanced Oxidant with Red Wine Extract
    Veriuni Advanced Liquid Nutrition
    Veriuni Advanced Weight Loss

  3. Magazine Rack: All of the categories

  4. Telecommunications: Long Distance Phone Services
I will start with choosing the keywords and phrases for pay-per-click search engines. Now that I know the products and categories I have chosen, I start picking my keywords with three different keyword search tools. By using the following, you can pick quite a few keywords and phrases to use in your pay-per-click search engines.


First, I go to the following keyword search sites and start with the categories for the products that I have chosen. I either write down the keywords and phrases, print the page, copy and paste them to a word processing document, or type them directly into the pay-per-click search engine.
  • Overture's Keyword Selector Tool: Overture's Keyword Selector Tool lets you search for your keyword and phrases related to your sites.

  • Good Keywords: Good Keywords is a free software download that lets you search for keywords and phrases that you can use in your pay-per-click ad campaigns and Websites.

  • Wordtracker: Wordtracker site has a free trial, or you can pay for your keywords and have them emailed to you. I suggest just using the free trial, as this can give you the list of words and phrases that you need for submitting to search engines that you plan to use.
Then, I move on to the individual items and do the same thing. By the time you are done with the three keyword search tools, you should have a very nice list of keywords and phrases.


I then go to the following two sites and choose the pay-per-click search engines that best fit the products I am going to advertise. While you are at each site, check out their keywords as well and any new ones you find to your list of keywords and phrases:
Now that you have your pay-per-click search engines set up, be sure to go back at least once a week to check what keywords and phrases are pulling in your clicks. Keep track of these clicks over a month's time and delete the ones that haven't received any clicks at all. Then over the next two to three months, watch the lowest clicked words and phrases and start deleting them.


You will also want to keep checking back with the keyword search tools to check on your keyword popularity. In some instances, I have found new words and phrases to add to my lists. The average surfer has a tendency to change some of their searching habits.


Now that I have covered keywords and pay-per-clicks it is time for you to know how I use keywords in selecting free classified advertising sites. Keep in mind that we are talking about using these tools for retail selling.


I'll start by using the same categories I mentioned in searching for classified sites. I type the following types of search phrases into search engines:
free food classified sites
free wellness classified sites
free nutrition classified sites
free magazine classified sites
free telecommunication classified sites

I then go through several of the pages on each of the search engines, adding the sites to Adwizard. Sometimes I go ahead and place my ads once I have gone through the searches on at least three search engines; sometimes I wait until I am done with several searches. I usually can find at least 20 to 50 classified sites with each different keyword and phrase search.


I then go to the next type of keyword search using the same technique. Wondering what I mean by this? I change the keyword or make it a keyword phrase in the same category.
For example:
free coffee classified sites
free cooking classified sites
With these two phrases then, I am able to advertise the Veriuni Java Coffee product or any of the cooking magazines in these classifieds. Yes, this is time consuming, but it can be very well worth the time as you are now competing less against other Strong Future International Affiliates.


You then will need to continue this with more specific keywords and phrases for each individual product. The more different types of keywords and phrases you use, just like with the pay-per-clicks, the more sites you will have with which to advertise.



Now, if you are using your own personal Website, don't forget to make sure that you have some of these keywords and phrases in the content of your Website for better searches on search engines as well. You will also need to have some of the keywords in your meta tags.


In all these techniques, using more specific keywords and phrases will help drive specific traffic of target groups of people looking for what you have to offer them.


 





2 comments:

DO FOLLLOW blogs said...

Hey I tried to help you out adding your link to a banner see if you can find it also I'm making some moves so try to keep up :)

LaTease "Teasas Tips" said...

ok.